DC Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you have been the victim of a motorcycle accident in Washington DC, you deserve a settlement or a court award that compensates you for all of the above losses. With the help of a DC motorcycle accident lawyer, you can push for a settlement payment, avoiding the stress of a trial. If, however, the at-fault party and their insurance companies are unwilling to cooperate, you will want an experienced attorney representing your interests at trial.
A qualified personal injury attorney will look at every aspect of your case in order to build the strongest possible case, convincing both a jury and the defendant’s insurance company why you deserve to be properly compensated for your losses. A dedicated attorney can also help if you are instead looking for help with a claim concerning an injury you sustained in a different kind of car accident:
- Motorcycle Helmet Laws in DC
- Motorcycle Laws in DC
- Common Types of Motorcycle Accidents
- What To Do After A Motorcycle Accident in DC
- Biggest Mistakes to Avoid After a Motorcycle Accident in DC
- Filing a Motorcycle Accident Claim in DC
- Role of a DC Attorney in a Motorcycle Accident Case
Motorcycle Accident Jury Trials
In the event that your motorcycle accident claim is brought to a jury trial, a jury of your peers will listen to testimony from both your attorney and the attorney of the defendant in order to determine whether you deserve a settlement, as well as the value of that settlement. The factors the jury will consider when making these determinations include the following:
- The nature of the accident, including its severity and the condition of the vehicles before and after
- The nature of your injuries, including their severity and whether or not they are permanent
- Whether your injuries will prevent you from working in your existing professional field
- The jury’s perception of the defendant’s credibility, as well as your credibility
- Who was primarily at fault in the accident
- Whether factors such as speed and alcohol were at play in the accident
- Whether witnesses observed the accident, as well as the credibility of their testimony
- Pain and suffering resulting from the motorcycle crash
- Potential loss of companionship
- The overall strength and credibility of your personal liability case
An experienced DC motorcycle accident lawyer can examine each of these factors before the trial occurs in order to determine the best ways of presenting them to a judge and jury. The ways in which your attorney presents these details can greatly impact whether you receive a settlement, as well as the size of the settlement.
Insurance Companies Influence in Settlement Values
Shortly after your motorcycle accident occurs, you will likely receive a phone call from the defendant’s insurance company offering you a settlement value. This value is typically small, and far below what you could expect to receive by bringing your case before a judge and jury. Even if you’d rather not go to trial, you can dramatically increase the value of your settlement by refusing this initial offer and explaining that you’ll be working with a DC motorcycle accident attorney instead. Insurance companies use software programs in order to determine settlement offers. One major difference between trial juries and insurance software programs is that the former accounts for pain and suffering, while the latter does not. However, some of the factors that insurance companies do consider when determining settlement values include the following:
- Where the accident occurred, and where the trial is supposed to occur
- Whether the attorney you’ve hired historically refuses early settlement offers in order to fight for a higher settlement value
- The severity of the accident and your injuries
- Whether your injuries can be objectively proven through diagnostic testing (note that even soft tissue injuries and other subjective injuries such as movement restrictions, dizziness and headaches are assessed a monetary value by insurance software, though objective ones such as broken bones and paralysis are typically worth more)
- Wages you’ve lost and will continue to lose as a result of your injuries
Remember, the goal of the insurance company in all cases is to settle before the trial occurs. If your DC motorcycle accident lawyer refuses early settlement offers, it can pressure the insurance company to raise its award offer as to avoid a trial.
Average Settlement Values
Plaintiffs are always interested in knowing how much their settlement claims could be worth immediately upon pleading their case to a personal injury attorney, but even the most experienced DC motorcycle accident lawyers have difficulty drawing up an estimate due to the wide range of circumstances and factors that determine the settlement value, including the makeup of the jury and judge involved in the eventual trial.