DC Bike Accident Lawyer
If you have been involved in a bike accident in Washington DC, you will probably have a number of questions. The primary goal of a reputable DC bicycle accident attorney will be to ensure that you will not suffer financially because of the injuries you or your loved one has received in an accident.
Many motorists make turns without checking their blind spot, fail to yield to bicyclists despite traffic signs, or even open their car doors before checking for oncoming bicyclists. If negligence was involved in your bike accident, you could be entitled to compensation. Contact a DC bicycle accident attorney to find out if you may have a claim.
- DC Bike Accident Injuries
- DC Bike Lane Laws
- DC Bike Helmet Laws
- Biking Regulations
- First Steps To Take Following a DC Bike Accident
- Types of Bike Accidents in DC
- Out of State Bicyclists in Washington, DC
How Juries Influence Settlement Values in Claims
If and when a case is brought to a trial, a jury will examine the various factors of the case in order to determine whether a person is entitled to damages, as well as the value of that settlement. Some of the specific factors that the jury will consider include, but are not limited to:
- Pain and suffering resulting from injuries and the crash itself
- Loss of companionship resulting from the same
- The severity of the crash
- The condition of the bicycle before and after the crash
- The severity of the injuries, including whether they are permanent, whether they can be verified through diagnostic testing and their overall extent
- Whether witnesses saw the bicycle crash occur
- The credibility of the witnesses
- Any arguments asserted by the defense attorney
- Lawyer’s ability to rebuff those arguments
- The overall strength and credibility of the liability case
- Whether factors such as speed, drugs, and alcohol were factors in the case
An experienced DC bike accident lawyer will examine all of these factors and determine how they can best be presented to a jury. The strength of the lawyer’s presentation can have as much of an impact on the monetary value of the settlement as the facts of the case themselves.
Preventing a DC Bicycle Accident
Even with designated bike lanes and DC’s bike safety requirements, bicycle accidents still happen. Sometimes, a motorist’s negligence makes it impossible to prevent an accident.
However, there are some small ways to protect oneself from negligent drivers or reduce the severity of potential injuries, such as:
- Wearing reflective gear
- Riding with the flow of traffic
- Cycling as far right as possible
- Outfitting bikes with a lamp at the front, and a red reflector at the back, for nighttime cycling
- Making sure the bike has a bell
- Avoiding cycling on sidewalks
- Using hand signals to indicate turns
- Always wearing a helmet
How a Bike Accident Attorney Can Help
Bicycle accidents in Washington, DC can be complex and often require in-depth investigations, advanced legal knowledge, and years of experience.
Since physical evidence can be limited, a DC bicycle accident lawyer will speak with witnesses, analyze police reports, uncover video footage if possible, and reconstruct the accident. Attorneys can also help by:
- Negotiating settlements with the insurance company
- Preparing a case for trial from the beginning, even if it never gets to that point
- Filing all of the necessary paperwork and ensuring all deadlines are met
- Answering any questions and supporting clients throughout the entire process
Contacting a Bike Accident Lawyer
If you or someone you love was hurt in a bike accident, it is important to hold the at-fault party accountable for their negligence. Not only do you have to struggle with medical bills and missing time at work, but you may also be experiencing pain and emotional trauma, and facing a long recovery. A Washington, DC bicycle accident lawyer can help you navigate DC’s complex traffic laws and ensure you receive fair and full compensation.
Review By Relieved Client
I liked the professionalism that this firm provided me and my family. The staff is super nice, and the environment is very positive. They are true professionals who helped me out with a serious legal issue. Highly Recommended