DC Veterans’ Affairs (VA) Medical Centers

Veterans in the DC Metro area, Maryland and Northern Virginia are served by the VA Capitol Health Care Network (VISN 5), which include the following major care and rehabilitation facilities:

Major Case and Rehabilitation Facilities

District of Columbia



Outpatient Clinics

Outpatient Clinics in the VA Capitol Health Care Network that serve veterans in the DC Metro area are located in:

District of Columbia

  • Washington DC Community Clinic-Southeast
  • Washington DC Community Resource Center



Filing a Claim through FTCA and Section 1151

Veterans who were injured at any of the Washington, DC VA healthcare facilities and wish to file a FTCA Standard Form 95, Claim for Damage, Injury or Death, must direct their claim to the US Department of Veterans Affairs Legal Counsel in Washington DC via mail.  They may also file online through the VA Website and receive telephone assistance by contacting the DC Regional Counsel at (202) 530-9420.

Veterans who were treated at any of the Maryland healthcare facilities listed above should direct their FTCA claim to the Legal Counsel in Baltimore, Maryland.  That office’s phone number is (410) 605-7600.

Veterans who were treated in any of the Virginia outpatient healthcare clinics listed above should direct their FTCA claim to the Region 23 Legal Counsel in Winston-Salem North Carolina (336) 631-5014.

In addition to a claim form, the following documents are necessary:

  • Clearly itemized bills for all private medical expenses incurred as a result of the injury
  • An itemized list of expected medical expenses
  • A “second opinion” physician’s statement
  • A VA medical exam report (mental and/or physical; whichever applies to your claim)
  • A statement from your employer confirming your time away from the job, if applicable

Veterans who wish to file a Section 1151 claim for disability compensation should direct their claim to the VA Claims unit (not the Legal Counsel) for the region (3, 5 or 23) in which the veteran received the injury for which he or she is filing a claim.

Any documentation—including a second opinion from a private physician—should accompany the 1151 request, as well as any additional information that physician provides you in order to reinforce your request for benefits.

Learn More

Especially in an area where three state/district jurisdictions are within such close proximity, it can be confusing to navigate the process of filing a VA claim. Click this link to learn more about specific VA disability and malpractice benefits.