Maryland Motorcycle Accident Attorney
When you’re involved in a motorcycle accident, the consequences can be serious. Without the safety features offered by modern cars and trucks, your injuries could be severe, permanent, and potentially life-threatening even in a relatively low-speed collision. Something as simple as a lane change could lead to catastrophic consequences since motorcycle riders have little to no protection standing between them and other vehicles on the road. These injuries can prevent you from working now and well into the future, or even permanently as the case may be. You could also endure loss of companionship, pain and suffering and property damages, not to mention medical bills that could easily reach into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. With the help of a qualified Maryland motorcycle accident lawyer, you can receive compensation for all of these damages in a settlement that will help you restore your original quality of life, or at least something closely resembling it. Although no amount of money can make up for the most serious losses incurred in a motorcycle crash, this is no reason to turn down the money you deserve.
Our personal injury lawyers also handle car accident cases, if you’re looking for information or representation for an injury claim arising from a different kind of auto accident (e.g., car, bike, truck, bus, etc.).
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Maryland Motorcycle Law Information
- Maryland Motorcycle Accident Cases
- Health Insurance and Maryland Motorcycle Accidents
- Injuries from Maryland Motorcycle Accidents
Average Settlement Awards in Maryland Motorcycle Accident Cases
Predicting the value of a potential settlement in the immediate aftermath of a motorcycle accident can be extremely difficult due to the fact that so many factors will be examined by at least the defendant’s insurance company, as well as a jury if your case is brought to trial. The circumstances of your case can make the settlement value differ wildly from national and Maryland averages.
Also note that the average settlement reflects hundreds or even thousands of cases in which only minor injuries and losses were incurred. If your injuries and losses are more dramatic, you can expect your settlement to far outpace the state average. Still, this is not a substitute for the information you can get from a consultation with an experienced Maryland motorcycle accident lawyer.
How Injuries Impact Your Settlement in a Motorcycle Accident Suit
Among the most important factors considered by juries and insurance companies in assessing the value of your settlement are your injuries. Permanent injuries typically result in far larger settlements than temporary ones, though even temporary injuries can contribute significantly to your settlement. The following injuries will greatly increase the value of your settlement because diagnostic testing conducted by a health care provider can confirm them:
- Herniated discs
- Brain damage and other forms of head trauma
- Bone fractures
- Back injuries such as spinal cord injuries
- Virtually any injury requiring a surgical procedure
However, both insurance companies and juries will also consider injuries to soft tissue and other injuries that are difficult to confirm through diagnostic testing when assessing the value of your case. In fact, the software used by most insurance companies will apply monetary value, based on proprietary formulas, to account for the following types of injuries:
- Muscle spasms
- Movement restrictions
- Minor visual impairments
One of the primary responsibilities of a reputable Maryland motorcycle accident attorney will be to explain to a jury the extent of these types of injuries and how they’ll affect your quality of life, now and in the future.
Non-Injury Factors Considered in Motorcycle Accident Cases
Aside from injuries, a trial jury will consider the following factors when determining the value of your settlement:
- The specific facts of the motorcycle accident, such as who or what caused it, whether speed, alcohol, etc. were factors, the condition of any involved vehicles before and after the accident, and more
- Whether you can prove that the injuries you sustained resulted from the accident and not an earlier event
- The number of witnesses who saw the accident occur
- The jury’s perceived credibility of those witnesses
- The jury’s perceived credibility of you and the defendant
- The defensive arguments that could be potentially brought up by the defendant’s attorney
- How easily your motorcycle accident attorney in Maryland refutes these arguments
Juries will also consider the level of pain and suffering you’ve experienced as a result of your motorcycle crash. Unfortunately, insurance company software minimizes of assessing pain and suffering. This is another reason why it pays to have an experienced Maryland motorcycle accident lawyer working your case and fighting for the largest settlement possible.
Some of the factors that insurance companies do account for when examining motorcycle crash lawsuits include the following:
- Medical records that describe the nature and extent of your injuries
- Wages you lost as a result of the accident
- Medical bills for procedures performed following your accident, as well as procedures expected to be performed in the future
- The location of the motorcycle accident and the forthcoming trial
- Other data provided to the insurance company by your Maryland motorcycle accident lawyer